Wednesday, February 22, 2012

half way through!

Can you believe that we are half way through this semester already? Because of the scheduling conflict with my classes, I am teaching my last two classes with my high schoolers. I cannot believe it and I am so sad to leave them. I am very excited to get to experience the Jr. High students too though.

As I prepare for this change, is there any advice any of you would love to give to me about Middle/Jr. High students?

I would love your comments and suggestions. :)

Kaitie

3 comments:

  1. you will repeat, repeat, repeat...and when you think you've told them enough, you will need to repeat again. it's not their fault...they have about 1,000 hormones running through their bodies and they can't help but zone out. plus, middle school seems like a warzone somedays and the LAST thing on their minds will be school. be kind to them.

    what grade are you teaching? what district are you teaching in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be wonderful! They have TONS of energy and are usually so willing to participate, which I have loved. The repetition thing that Julia said is so true, but be patient and they will slowly learn. Middle Schoolers can be an absolute blast. Establish your procedures at the very start because if they know what is expected, they will live up to it. One more thing...be yourself! They are at the stage when they are trying to figure out who they are and if they can have you as an example of knowing who you are and being comfortable with who you are, they will thrive off of that. So excited for you, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! Julia, I am teaching 8th grade at Mapleton Jr. which is in Nebo school district. I taught my first lesson today, and so far so good! The class periods are only 45 minutes which is totally different from 90 (which I was used to at Westlake high school) but it went really well!!!

    ReplyDelete